Monday, September 27, 2010

3 Days-632 miles

Working with wazoosports is like having a girlfriend. They don’t tell you everything you need to know, you have to negotiate sometimes, and it takes a lot of work, but in the end there may be a payoff.

click for slideshow Last Thursday I was only suppose to work the North Hardin game. I wanted to work the Friday Lexington Catholic game, but they hadn’t yet set the crew. Wazoo had asked, more than once, me to go to Campbellsville University, but it was so far away and I wanted to get home that weekend. While at North Hardin they called and asked what it would take to get me to Campbellsville. I asked double rate, they countered with 35% increase. I thought about it and called back. I’ll work Campbellsville, with the rate increase, if I could work Friday. Okay, done deal. I hadn’t planned on a 3 day road trip, but I did have some clothes in the car, I just had to figure where to stay. Luckily, Kelly let me flop at his house in Richmond on Friday and that cut about three hours of road time.

Friday’s game, the wazoo crew was 90 late, was the only one of interest. North Hardin lost to rival Central Hardin 10-9. Friday night was a slaughter with Catholic crushing Lexington Christian 62-0!!!! Half way through the third quarter the crew is begging for the mercy rule and we got it not long after. There was no mercy with the weather, it rained during some of the setup and most of the first half. Saturday’s score was not as bad as it might have been. Campbellsville beat Lindsey Wilson 48-30. 2010 is the first year Lindsey Wilson has put a football team on the field and it’s mostly freshmen and sophomores. It was a decent game. The set up for the game did not go smoothly, some of the equipment was missing (there was a second crew in Murray doing a game), other pieces didn’t work, so we improvised, two of  the crew had not run camera on a multi-camera productions (i.e. the director, me, yelling at them), I had to rewire the switcher to get everything to work, and master control, in Atlanta, lost audio at the beginning of the game. Very hectic, but we got it all together with time left to eat lunch before kickoff.

The drive over the three days was beautiful. Friday, I went past Fort Knox. Saturday, it was beautiful morning drive, with the sunrise and fog, through the back roads on the way to Lancaster, Danville, Lebanon then Campbellsville. I didn’t get much sleep Friday night. The train crossing was not far away and the train whistle must have gone off five times that night. When I got home Saturday at 8:30, after a three hour drive, I only lasted an hour before I hit the sack and slept until 7am.

Today, I deposited three check instead of one. Payoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Click on photos to enlarge.
www.charlesegerton.com