Tuesday, October 12, 2010

NLDS

I’ve never been to a playoff game much less go into the clubhouse after a win.

click for slide show I got the call up to the majors on Tuesday for the Saturday NLDS game 3, Cincinnati Reds vs Philadelphia Phillies. Midwest Uplink, a satellite truck out of Indy, was providing the uplink for MLB Network. They needed someone to be on the field for the live reports, before the game, in case something went wrong.  I had to be on site at noon, all the cable had been run the day before, so most of the day was waiting around. The camera crew and producer were from NY and incredibly fun to work with. We did live stand ups, Ken Rosenthal talking to the studio, and some interviews. They sent back footage of Doc Halladay doing sprints in the outfield around 12:30. I asked the producer why he would be at the park so early. He said, “He’s just a beast. Always working out and trying to get an advantage.” Yikes, almost eight hours before a game and, unless something goes seriously wrong, he won’t even play. But there he is working out.

This was the first time I had been on the field of Great American Ballpark. It was great being in the dugout, on the field during BP and warm-ups, and just to see the stadium from the field like a ballplayer. I didn’t watch the game from the camera platform in the dugout. It was too crowded with photographers, video crews and others. So I watched the first two innings from the press box, but it was packed like the stadium and you can’t cheer in the box. What fun is that? So I took a walk around the stadium to shoot some video and just get a feel of the game and crowd. It was standing-room-only just a real big league park should be. During the clinch game it was only 75% full. It takes opening day and a playoff to sell out the stadium, with a few exceptions.

At the top of the 9th inning I met up with the crew in the hallway that comes out of the Phillies dugout, on the opposite end from the clubhouse. Then we moved just outside of the dugout. The Red media handlers lined us up single file against a wall, like we were getting ready to jump out of a C-47 transport onto Normandy. We did all have gear in both hands or strapped to us. It was bottom of the 9th (with the Reds down 2-0) and we couldn’t see the field, but one of the guys had a radio and gave us reports. We heard a roar go up from the crowd. “Brandon Phillips singles” Maybe, just maybe... OOOOOOO, from the crowd. “Double play, 4-6-3.” Okay, maybe not.  After the last out, we get ready to go on the field when security asked us to move to one side so the umpires and get though. I had worn my maroon cap with EKU on the front and as the umps came down the steps the plate umps looks at me, smiles and says, “I like your hat.” “Thanks.” It was a humorous end to a sad game.

We set up our position in front of the Phillies dugout to capture the team celebrating sweeping the Reds. We were hardwired to the satellite truck so we couldn’t move. We did get a shot of the team drenching Cole Hamels in Champaign. But most of the team had already moved into the clubhouse. The 2nd portable unit went with them. Luckily the audio guy had borrowed some rain gear to keep the Champaign off. Our tape runner Marisa was not so fortunate. She looked like kitten that had fallen into the pool.  We never got an interview on the field, but I had a clubhouse pass, so after things quieted down I went to check out some of the celebration. Plastic sheets, with NLDS Champs logos, hanging over the lockers. All the team, reporters, cameramen and our runner were soaking wet.

I’m still not such a grizzled pro that this wasn’t amazing event to me. There’s a lot I didn’t take advantage of. I didn’t walk through the Reds clubhouse before the game, I didn’t watch any of the game from on the field, I wanted to run out to center field as if it were the top of the first in the World Series. Yet, to be there, to be paid to be there and to be on the field of dreams (sorry, I just couldn’t not use it) for the first playoff in Cincinnati 15 years! The first in GABP. It was a first for me.

sights and sounds of the park

A last side story. I was telling the crew about once I held the World Series trophy. The the audio guy, Todd, tells me he’s held them all: World Series, Lombardi,  Stanley Cup, NBA, Masters and a few others. The camera guy Sal, who worked for the NHL, said he got to keep the Stanley Cup for a day and has held a some of the others too. Then the Sat. truck owner Paul tells similar stories. My story is no longer special in this group. Just to all the other people I know. ;-D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Click on photos to enlarge.
www.charlesegerton.com