Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tennis 2010

IMG_3602August 5, 2010. I knew they were remodeling the tennis center, but when I went to the facility, to help set-up for this years tournament, I couldn’t believe that the huge building in the distance was part of the new complex. It looked massive compared to the old building. It is an incredible structure. Instead of being in the dank basement, the interview room is now on the forth floor. So I got a little more exercise climbing up the steps multiple times a day. The crew, at the tourny and on the video side, are fun to work with and it’s a pretty easy gig. Plus on Friday there was a happy-hour in the press box. Sweeeeet!

a maria Now, I’m not a what you call a huge sports fan. I’ve met plenty players and coaches  over the years, but not once have asked to have my picture taken with them. I don’t lose money or sleep over any team. I hate to see my favs lose and sometimes get a little ill because of it. Having said that, I was ‘this-close’ to…Maria Sarapova. A six foot two athletic goddess. After an interview in the press room, as she was leaving, I said, “Good luck.” and she LOOKED ME IN THE EYE and said, “Thanks.”  Try not to be too jealous. In her first match I got some decent pix of her.

During the finals of the men’s side, I went up to see a friend Phyllis. The finals was an exciting match between Marty Fish and Roger Federer. They split the first two sets, stayed on serve and both sets went to tiebreak. After Roger won the second tiebreak 7-1 I thought he’d roll in the third. But again neither player lost server until 4-4 when Roger broke Fish and then served to win the match.

It’s the last year for two separate weeks for the tennis touney in Cincy. Next year the men and women’s will be combined. The complex will be completely redone and bigger. I’m just hoping to be apart of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Click on photos to enlarge.
www.charlesegerton.com