Monday, February 22, 2010

Pikeville College Feb 5, 2010

Am I just bored or do I really need the money that much?
That was the questioned I ask myself when Larry, Wazoosports.com,  asked if I wanted to direct a basketball game at Pikeville College.
“No, I think I'll pass.” I told him
“Well, I gonna have to cancel that game. I just can't get a crew to go to Pikeville College.”
Hum, I wonder why? View Larger Map'>Pikeville is not bad town, it's just so far away.
Larry tried to change the game to Georgetown, but the higher ups refused. He called back and asked what it would take to get me to do the game. The general rule is never be the first to name a price. You will always lose. But I gave him a price that was 30% higher than the normal pay for the gig and he accepted. DAMN! Shoulda asked for more money. He might have turned me down, but I wouldn't have to go the Pikeville either.
I met the crew in at the Winchester exit, after a 90 minute drive. Then it was another two hour drive to Pikeville. You'd think that a huge Chevy SUV would have plenty of leg room, but not when the person in the front passenger seat is close to 300 lbs. It's a pretty drive, winding roads with snow on the ground, but I've seen it before. When I drove it back in the summer. I had only been to Pikeville once in my life, in the past six months I've been there twice.monster on a mission2
The Eastern Kentucky Expo Center is a very nice multipurpose facility. Used for ballgames, concerts and religious services. (photo)We had a hard time setting up; cabling problems, intercom problems, which meant not-getting -dinner problem. I've freelanced enough to always pack a snack, so I dined on an apple and a granola bar. Not enough to last through two games. Between the games one of the camera guys said there was some free food in a break room. The only person in the truck was some poor girl Wazoo had dragged from their office to the game. They were that hard-up for crew. When we asked to go get us some food, she said
“I'm not hungry.”
“Well, I am! Go get me some food!”
Way to be a part of the team. She was not happy. She grudgingly went to find the free food. After only five minutes she came back and told me she couldn't find it. Camera 3 got us a shot of one of the camera people with free food. Way to be a part of the team.
“Well then, go get me a hot dog.”
“Not unless you ask nice.”
“I'm hungry. Go get me a hot dog woman!” I was laughing when I said it. She wasn't.   
I did get my hot dog though.
After the games it was a looong trip home. I decided to take the the very backseat. It was a little more cramped, but I thought I could do a time warp nap and be back at my car in the blink of sandman's eye. I didn't work. By the time I got back to my car and then the trip home, it was late. On the road at 10am, home at 3am. Nope, the next time I will not be the first to name a price. (double click to play in youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Click on photos to enlarge.
www.charlesegerton.com